Nuisance Complaints

What is a Public Nuisance?

Whatever is injurious to the public health or safety or an obstruction to the free use of property so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property by the public shall be deemed a public nuisance. If a violation is determined to exist, a notice will be sent to the owner giving a period of time as stated in the applicable City ordinance to correct the situation.

Grass/Weed Nuisance

Grass/weed nuisance complaints are inspected by Inspection and Construction Services.

The City of Dubuque Code of Ordinances states: "It shall be the duty of an owner of any lot or parcel of land to remove weeds, vines, or other growth, by cutting or destroying such weeds, vines or other growth. In the event the owner of a lot or parcel of land, shall fail to remove weeds, vines, or other growth, it shall be the duty of the City Manager to cause said weeds, vines, or other growth to be cut and destroyed."

What this Ordinance means is that if, after receiving a five-day notice to cut the weeds, and the property owner does not comply, the City will hire a contractor to cut the weeds, and the costs, plus an administrative fee, are assessed against the property taxes.

To report violations of this ordinance, contact the Inspection and Construction Services at 563.589.4231 or submit a Grass/Weed Complaint through the Citizen Support Center.