DUBUQUE, Iowa – The City of Dubuque Historic Preservation Commission will present the 17th Annual Ken Kringle Historic Preservation Awards at a public reception and ceremony on Tuesday, April 9, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at St. Mathew’s Lutheran Church, 1780 White Street. A tour of the St. Matthew’s sanctuary precedes the event at 5:00 p.m. and a tour of the Immanuel Congregational United Church sanctuary follows the event, at 1795 Jackson Street.
The Ken Kringle Historic Preservation Award was established in 2002 by the City of Dubuque Historic Preservation Commission to recognize excellence in historic preservation. Awards are announced annually for the best preservation efforts located in the city of Dubuque. The award is named after the late Ken Kringle for his dedication to historic preservation through his involvement as a member and past chairperson of the Historic Preservation Commission, president of the Bluff Street Neighborhood Association, resident of the Cathedral Historic Preservation District, and member of the Old House Enthusiasts Club.
The following people will receive 2019 awards in recognition of their outstanding preservation achievements:
1. Chris Miller – 210 Jones Street
The exterior restoration and rehabilitation of 210 Jones Street brings the former Midland Chemical Building, and later the Dubuque Insultation and Siding Company Building, back to good use. This turn of the 20th Century structure was purchased by Miller in 2010 and he started the project in 2017, finishing the exterior in July of 2018. Exterior work included a 70 percent surface area repointing of mortar, with both structural and aesthetic work. New windows and a new roof helped protect the structure. The project benefitted from environmental testing through a brownfield grant the City of Dubuque obtained from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and Miller took advantage of the City of Dubuque Economic Development Department’s Façade, Design and Financial Consultant Grants Program. Interior work included asbestos remediation, a new sprinkler system, installation of an elevator and new utilities, making the structure highly efficient. Of the 42,000 square feet, about half was built out in offices which presented many challenges as the owner dug into the work, whereas the remaining warehousing, which was open and relatively untouched, was easier to restore. The primary tenant is Creative Adventure Lab, which continues to expand its services within the structure.
2. Dubuque County Supervisors – 720 Central Avenue (Courthouse)
Project Manager: Chris Soeder
The Dubuque County Courthouse is an 1891 Beaux Arts style building designed by the prominent Dubuque architect Fridolin Heer. The project started as a roof project, but as the project unfolded, the restoration needs of the statues became clear. The project included: complete replacement of the asphalt shingled roof; restoration and repainting of the cladding and pressed metal on the lantern (the glass room under the dome); restoration, rebuilding and repainting of all the allegorical statues; and restoration of the upper and lower cornices and pediments. The restoration has successfully returned this building to its original splendor, enhancing one of Dubuque's most iconic landmarks and providing a spectacular gateway to eastern Iowa.
3. Emily & Andrew McCready – 1268 Locust Street
The McCreadys reinvigorated this two-story Queen Anne taking advantage of local façade grant funding through the City’s economic development department. The building features returned eaves, brackets, cast-iron lintels, and an original porch. The columns, porch eaves, roof, railing, and posts were rotting from years of neglect and deferred maintenance. The exterior brick needed cleaning and the eaves and brackets of the house required restoration as well. The front porch was rebuilt using existing materials when possible with replacement wood features being used where required. All elements were painstakingly restored meeting all guidelines and standards which brought back the beauty of its façade and tied it in with the rest of the block. The McCreadys operate 563 Design, an architectural firm that specializes in downtown restoration.
4. Tanya Billmeyer – 1358 Locust Street
This circa 1863 Italianate brick duplex with stepped end walls and an attic addition was purchased in the summer of 2017. The porch at that time was falling into disrepair and was not original to the building as depicted in the 1909 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. The porch was reconstructed aiming for historical accuracy of the building footprint and unity on the block, looking toward the neighboring c. 1910 portico at 1344 Locust Street as a model. The original doors, which were held together by license plates, were brought back to life by Billmeyer and finished by a professional. Additionally, the cornice was repainted to further tie the structures together. Windows were either missing or unsalvageable and were replaced with historically accurate four over four double hung windows. The adjoining property of 1344 Locust was also purchased by Billmeyer and through completing this project, is the first time since at least 1909, both porches coordinated. With the help of many, Billmeyer returned this appealing property to its historical roots.
The award ceremony is held in conjunction with the Dubuque County Historical Society’s Awards. For more about the event, contact City of Dubuque Assistant Planner Chris Happ Olson at 563-589-4210 or firstname.lastname@example.org