Volunteers Needed to Advance Arts and Culture Master Plan
Arts and Cultural Affairs Coordinator
Oct. 22, 2018 -- For Immediate Release
DUBUQUE, Iowa –The City of Dubuque Office of Arts and Cultural Affairs, in conjunction with the Arts and Cultural Affairs Advisory Commission, is seeking community participation in the implementation of the City’s Arts and Culture Master Plan and Community Enactment Strategy, a comprehensive approach to support arts and culture throughout the community.
Dubuque’s Arts and Culture Master Plan is the result of a multi-year effort spurred by the recognition that culturally and artistically vibrant cities tend to be more economically prosperous. This national trend was proven locally in 2012, when a study conducted in association with Americans for the Arts revealed that Dubuque’s nonprofit arts and culture industry generates $47 million in annual revenue—a number surely increased by our city’s robust network of creative businesses, live music, and entertainment venues.
Beginning in 2014, hundreds of community members shared their thoughts, dreams, and ideas with City staff and consultants. The resulting 10-year Arts & Culture Master Plan, adopted by the City Council in October 2016, provides a roadmap for enhancing the cultural and economic vitality of our community through strong public/private partnerships and community leadership. The City Council adopted a Community Enactment Strategy to guide implementation of the plan in 2017.
Volunteers with interest or applicable expertise across various sectors, including the arts, are sought for the following five working groups. Working group responsibilities will include studying individual priorities in the master plan, seeking community input, and sharing findings with the steering committee and Arts and Cultural Affairs Advisory Commission.
Accessibility, Engagement, and Inclusion
- Focuses on improving access and being welcoming to all communities in Dubuque.
- Will meet at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque’s McCarthy Center, 700 Locust St. Regular meeting times to be determined.
Branding and Communications
- Focuses on communicating a uniting identity as an arts community.
- Meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at The Smokestack, 62 E. Seventh St.
Creative Economy, Artists, and Entrepreneurship
- Focuses on support for local artists, cultural groups, and creative businesses through incentives and policy.
- Meets at 5:45 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month in the Carnegie-Stout Public Library Aigler Auditorium, 360 W. 11th St.
Public Art and Infrastructure
- Focuses on ways to expand and integrate public art in the community.
- Meets on the second Thursday of the month at 5:30 p.m. at the Dubuque Museum of Art, 701 Locust St.
Meeting information for the Capacity and Investment working group will be announced when available.
# # #