City Council Completes Annual Goal-Setting Sessions
Aug. 25, 2022
The Dubuque City Council completed its annual goal-setting sessions on Wednesday, Aug. 24. Over the course of three evening sessions, City Council members affirmed the 15-year vision statement and mission statement and identified eight five-year goals for the city. They also identified top and high priorities for a 2022-2024 policy agenda as well as in-progress projects and capital projects for 2022-2024.
The 2037 Dubuque Vision Statement
Dubuque 2037 is a sustainable and resilient city, an inclusive and equitable community where ALL are welcome. Dubuque 2037 has preserved our Masterpiece on the Mississippi, has a strong, diverse economy and expanding connectivity. Our residents experience healthy living and active lifestyles; have choices of quality, affordable, livable neighborhoods; have an abundance of diverse, fun things to do; and are successfully and actively engaged in the community.
Dubuque city government is progressive and financially sound with residents receiving value for their tax dollars and achieving goals through partnerships. Dubuque city government’s mission is to deliver excellent municipal services that support urban living; contribute to an equitable, sustainable city; plan for the community’s future; and facilitate access to critical human services.
City of Dubuque Goals 2027
- Robust Local Economy: Diverse Businesses and Jobs with Economic Prosperity
- Vibrant Community: Healthy and Safe
- Livable Neighborhoods and Housing: Great Place to Live
- Financially Responsible, High-Performance City Organization: Sustainable, Equitable, and Effective Service Delivery
- Sustainable Environment: Preserving and Enhancing Natural Resources
- Partnership for a Better Dubuque: Building Our Community that is Viable, Livable, and Equitable
- Diverse Arts, Culture, Parks, and Recreation Experiences and Activities
- Connected Community: Equitable Transportation, Technology Infrastructure, and Mobility
Policy agenda items are issues that need direction or a policy decision or a major funding decision by the City Council, or issues that need City Council leadership in the community or with other governmental bodies. The policy agenda is divided into top priorities and high priorities.
2022 – 2024 Top Priorities (in alphabetical order):
- Air Service Future Strategy and Action Plan
- Chaplain Schmitt Island Master Plan Implementation
- City Workforce Retention and Attraction: Direction and Funding
- Climate Action Plan Implementation
- Comprehensive Fire Stations Locations: Study, Report, Direction, and Funding
- Street Program: Direction and Funding
2022 – 2024 High Priorities (in alphabetical order):
- Catfish Creek Sanitary Sewer Project: Debt Policy Direction, Phasing, and Funding
- Central Avenue Revitalization Plan: Adoption, Direction, and City Actions
- Five Flags: Options, Funding Mechanism, Direction, and Next Steps
- Housing Incentive Policy: Review and Direction
- Poverty Prevention and Reduction Plan Implementation
- Sutton Pool Staffing and Operational Needs: Future Direction and Funding
# # #