Annual Asphalt Overlay Projects Announced
April 27, 2022
The City of Dubuque’s annual asphalt overlay program is scheduled to begin today and will improve more than 10 centerline miles on 44 city streets or street sections during the 2022 construction season.
The program targets streets that would benefit from an asphalt overlay to extend the life of the existing pavement. The public works department manages the program which includes milling/grinding the existing pavement surface, recycling old asphalt, and repaving streets for a safer and smoother ride.
Unlike street reconstruction projects, property owners are not assessed for costs associated with the asphalt overlay program. Instead, the program is funded with monies from Iowa’s Road Use Tax Fund (gas and diesel fuel tax). The asphalt overlay program is part of the City’s yearly street maintenance activity, which is budgeted as $2.8 million for Fiscal Year 2022 and includes approximately $850,800 to bring curb ramps up to ADA compliance along the overlaid streets.
The following streets are scheduled for partial or complete asphalt overlay this construction season:
- Old Highway 20 – US 20 to Cousins Rd.
- Radford Rd.
- Cousins Rd.
- University Ave. – University Ave. Extension to John F. Kennedy Rd.
- Cedar Cross Ct.
- Clifford St.
- Ellen St.
- Grant St.
- Lagen St.
- Hillcrest Rd. – Key Way Dr. to John F. Kennedy Rd.
- Hillcrest Rd. – Winnie Ct. to Grant St.
- Key Largo Dr.
- Keymeer Dr.
- St. John Dr. – Hillcrest Rd. to Keymeer Dr.
- Woodrow Dr.
- Cedar St.
- E. 15th St. – Railroad tracks to Sycamore St.
- Maple St.
- Jackson St. – E. 12th St. to E. 24th St.
- Locust St. – W. 3rd St. to W. 8th St.
- Bluff St. – W. 1st St. to W. 5th St.
- Fox Dr.
- Blackhawk Dr.
- Auburn St. – University Ave. to Grace St.
- Bennett St. – McCormick St. to S. Grandview Ave.
- Grace St. – N. Algona St. to Grandview. Round-a-bout
- W. 3rd St – N. Algona St. west to its end
- Hale St. – N. Algona St. west to its end
- Ida St.
- Kane St. – N. Grandview Ave. to Primrose St.
- Shiras Ave. – Orchard Dr. to Rhomberg Ave.
- Chaney Rd. – Pennsylvania Ave. to Asbury Rd.
- Mt. Vernon Ct.
- Arbor Oaks Dr.
- Arbor Oaks Ct.
- Spring Valley Rd. – Arbor Oaks Ct. to Wilderness Rd.
- Oak View Ct.
- Country Cove Ct.
- Old Country Ln.
An estimated schedule of the projects is available online at www.cityofdubuque.org/asphaltoverlay.
Residents will be notified by mail prior to the start of the project with contact information and parking instructions. Normally, projects can be completed in one week and streets can be driven on soon after paving takes place and as soon as traffic control devices have been removed.
For more information, contact the public works department at 563-589-4250 or visit www.cityofdubuque.org/publicworks.
# # #