Deadline Approaching for 2020 Storm Drain Mural Project Design Proposals
Apply by Tuesday, September 15!!
The City of Dubuque continues to seek designs to be painted as sidewalk murals at five locations for the 2020 Storm Drain Mural Project.
The project is part of the City's education and outreach efforts to raise awareness about stormwater pollution and comes after a successful pilot in 2019 which produced 3 storm drain murals. The project also advances goals and priorities of the City’s Arts and Culture Master Plan to make arts and cultural resources and activities available in every neighborhood in the city and county, make art more visible in all aspects of daily life in Dubuque, and facilitate the presence and participation of arts and culture at non-cultural activities and venues.
The storm drain locations selected for this year's project will be transformed from functional infrastructure into engaging works of art to draw attention to water-quality issues and inspire Dubuque residents to have a positive impact on their environment. Locations include storm drains at:
The call for art is open to all artists, of all experience levels, including groups and students. Preference will be given to local artists. Artists can submit more than one design for consideration. Designs should be bold, original, and demonstrate artistic merit and address the themes of:
- Stormwater Pollution: Only rain down the storm drain.
- Environmental Protection: The importance of clean water.
- Local Ecosystems: Wildlife habitats and natural beauty.
Designs must adhere to the following criteria:
- Educational value; work should educate and engage residents on themes such as storm water pollution, environmental protection, and/or our local ecosystems.
- Aesthetic value work should be pleasing and add beauty to the community.
- Proposed work must fit within the designated space.
- Design cannot contain business promotions or advertisements.
- Design cannot include any breach of intellectual property, brands, trademarks, or depictions of illegal activities.
- Design cannot incorporate any physical objects attached to drains.
- Design must be family-friendly.
Design concepts are due on or before September 15, 2020
, through the City's website
or mailed to: City Hall, Attn: Kristin Hill at 50 W. 13th St., Dubuque, IA, 52001. Designs will be reviewed and chosen by a panel and selected artists will be notified by September 21, 2020. The murals must be painted by October 31, 2020. Upon project completion, the artist will receive a $500 stipend for each mural painted.
The City was awarded seven gallons of Diamond Vogel paint for this project through Paint Iowa Beautiful
, a program that provides free paint to a wide variety of public service projects throughout Iowa. During the 17-year partnership between Keep Iowa Beautiful and Diamond Vogel Paint, over 11,330 gallons of paint for 990 community projects in Iowa.
The project is supported through a combination of City of Dubuque Office of Arts and Cultural Affairs programming funds and National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) stormwater funds with in-kind support from the Key City Creative Center
For more information including the storm drain mural locations and templates, visit www.cityofdubuque.org/stormdrainmuralproject
# # #