Dubuque Human Rights Office Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
April 2nd, 2020 -- For Immediate Release
Dear Members of the Dubuque Community,
The health and safety of our residents and staff are always our top priority. Amid concerns of the potential for community spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to assure you that we continue to serve your human rights needs. At this time, the Dubuque Human Rights office located at the City Hall Annex is closed. We have suspended our Equity and Intercultural competency trainings as well as the City Life program until further notice. However, all staff is teleworking at this time and continue to be ready to assist.
In addition to our regular duties, we are on heightened alert for discrimination/harassment directed at our Asian and Pacific Islander community members, based on national trends in response to COVID-19. We have also shifted our efforts to providing translations on City/County news releases and gathering needs/sharing resources with underrepresented community members related to housing, food/utilities, unemployment, education, daycare, health, and basic communications about COVID-19.
We are especially concerned that times like these tend to deepen existing inequities. We are participating in weekly online meetings with the Government Alliance on Race & Equity to learn and share best practices in responding to the pandemic in a way that explicitly takes race and equity into account.
During this time, we ask that you follow health professional guidelines https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus/Public on how to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. Again, thank you for respecting our office closure and contacting us remotely in order to assist our efforts to flatten the curve of infection and reduce community spread.
Below are some ways for us to serve you at home and protect your human rights during this pandemic:
- Always feel free to contact us during the business hours of 8am to 5pm via telephone at 563-564-7753 or via email to email@example.com for assistance or questions.
- Information on your human rights can be accessed 24 hours a day at https://www.cityofdubuque.org/215/Human-Rights & https://www.cityofdubuque.org/947/Additional-Legal-Information
- A Human Rights intake form can be filed online at https://www.cityofdubuque.org/DocumentCenter/View/18345
- Or you can report a concern at https://www.cityofdubuque.org/1500/Report-a-Concern
- To report Bias Incidents/Messages Against Asian-Americans related to COVID-19/Coronavirus please do so here https://tinyurl.com/qnlqqt7
- If you are not comfortable filing the intake form out online, you can also print a copy of the pdf at the link above, and either:
- Mail it to City of Dubuque Human Rights Department, 1300 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001;
- Email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax a copy to number 563-690-6691.
- If you need a physical copy of a human rights complaint form, we can also mail one to you. Please contact us via telephone or email.
- Finally, we have access to interpreters and translators in multiple languages. If you or someone you know needs assistance from our office in a language other than English, please call or e-mail us with a message indicating the language needed and we will work to find an interpreter or translator to assist our communication.
- As well, please follow us on Facebook for more up to date messages.
The Dubuque Human Rights Department is committed to keeping you safe and informed while continuing to protect your human rights throughout this situation. The City of Dubuque will continue to provide up to date information on our website at www.cityofdubuque.org/COVID19. Thank you for your understanding during this trying time. Working together as a community, we can prevent the spread of this virus and protect the well being of our community.
Human Rights Department, City of Dubuque
# # #
Please do not reply to this message. If you would like additional information on this issue, please contact the staff person identified in the message above or contact the City of Dubuque Human Rights Office at email@example.com or 563-564-7753