Food Establishment Strategies to Protect from Spread of COVID-19
March 16, 2020
During this pandemic of COVID-19 the City of Dubuque Health Services realizes how damaging this pandemic can be for food establishments. Additionally, we realize how important you are to our community. Now is the time for all of us to take precautions to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Social distancing is one of the most effective tools to limit its spread. Restaurants and food establishments may use some of the following social distancing techniques below to limit spread of COVID-19.
- Limit gatherings of more than 50 persons (patrons) until further notice.
- Seat patrons a minimum of six feet apart within establishments.
- Frequently disinfect all touch surfaces using disinfectants which are known to disinfect COVID-19. You can make a bleach solution by mixing 1/3 cup or 5 tablespoons of 5-6 percent bleach with water. Additionally, the EPA maintains a frequently updated list of disinfectants which will disinfect the COVID-19 on the EPA’s website at www.epa.gov this list is updated regularly and there is a FAQ feature as well.
- Consider drive thru, carryout, or delivery of food to patrons.
- Eliminate all buffet or patron self-service.
- Ensure staff are not working while ill especially with symptoms of COVID-19. Click here to see Food Service Worker Fact Sheet.
- Ensure staff are frequently washing hands and not having bare hand contact with ready to eat foods.
- Consider having wait staff wear gloves when delivering food and beverages to tables.
- Ensure restrooms have soap and adequate paper towels or hand drying in restrooms.
For questions or more information, please contact City of Dubuque environmental sanitarian Tim Link at 563.589.4102 or email@example.com