Building Services Department
City of Dubuque Building Services Department Provides the Following Services:
- Design Review Team Meetings: Multiple City Departments meet weekly with Developers, Business Owners, Architects, Engineers, and others during the preliminary planning stages of a project or development to support, advise, and review your project plans.
- Permits: Accept permit applications for: Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, ADA, De-Construction, Geothermal, Solar, Signs, Temporary Heat, Storage Trailers/Containers, and more.
- Plan Review Process: Act as the central hub for your plan submittals and coordinate with all other City Departments to provide a comprehensive plan review process ensuring all work is code compliant prior to issuing permits to avoid costly change orders or work delays during the project.
- Inspections: Our staff performs comprehensive detailed field inspections throughout your project and assists in answering questions or solving problems while ensuring your project will meet all applicable City Codes upon completion.
- Certificate of Occupancy: Upon final inspection of new construction or change of use alterations to your exiting structure a Certificate Occupancy will be issued. All other Permits will have a Final Inspection performed and certified upon completion by our inspection staff.
- Problem Properties/Complaints: Our inspection staff performs inspections on all vacant, abandon, or problem properties within the City of Dubuque on a routine basis or by request from the public by means of a complaint or referral.
- Contractor Licensing: Provide the following licenses: Sign Contractors, Solar Thermal Contractors, Electrical/Industrial Maintenance.
- Contractor licensing
- (VAB) Vacant Abandon Building License: Provide annual inspections and licenses on all vacant abandon commercial or residential properties.
- The readily achievable aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Facility Management Responsibilities
The Building Services Department also provides Facility Management Services for:
- City Hall Building - 50 West 13th Street
- Ruby Sutton Building - 1157 Central Avenue
- City Hall Annex Building - 1300 Main Street
- Historic Federal Building - 350 West 5th Street
- 5th Street Restroom Facility - 5th and Bluff Streets
- Historic Dubuque Shot Tower - Commercial Drive
- Click here for a staff directory
Lighting Display Requests at Historic Federal Building
- The City of Dubuque will accept applications from Not-For Profit Organizations for lighting display requests for special events or causes, the Historic Federal Building is used to accommodate these requests and applications and instructions are available below.
- Historic Federal Building Lighting Display Applications