In August 2010, the Dubuque City Council adopted the Dubuque Greenhouse Gas Inventory, the first step in developing a Climate Action Plan (CAP) for Dubuque. The inventory measures gases emitted by City operations for the baseline year 2003, and again for 2007, and predicts future emissions if we continue in a “business as usual” way, and gives the City a tool to set emission reduction targets to improve and maintain healthy air quality.
As part of its vision for a sustainable future, the City has partnered with ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability. As an ICLEI member, the City of Dubuque is committed to achieving ICLEI's Five Milestones for Climate Protection:
- Conduct baseline emissions inventories and forecasts for both municipal activities and the community as a whole
- Adopt an emissions reduction target
- Develop a Local Climate Action Plan
- Implement policies and measures
- Monitor and verify results
This recently adopted inventory achieves the first milestone and is helpful in assisting City Council and staff in their planning and policy efforts as well as in informing and assisting Dubuque citizens in leading sustainable lifestyles.
Access the full Greenhouse Gas Inventory here