Childhood lead poisoning is a disease that occurs when children have too much lead in their bodies.
Children become lead-poisoned if they:
Put lead-based paint chips in their mouths
Put dusty or dirty hands, toys, bottles, or pacifiers in their mouths
Chew on surfaces painted with lead-based paint
Play in dirt or a sandbox where lead-based paint chips have been
Breathe in dust from lead-based paint that is being sanded, scraped, or removed
The only way to determine if your child is lead-poisoned is to have their blood tested. It is important to get their blood lead level tested at least once a year until they are six years old. Children may become lead-poisoned after 12 months of age as they become more active. For blood testing call your child’s physician or the Visiting Nurse’s Association. Children participating in the Lead Hazard Control Program between the ages of 1 - 5 can be tested at their physician's office or the Visiting Nurse's Association. You can contact the VNA at 563.556.6200 or visit: https://www.unitypoint.org/dubuque/services-dubuque-county-vna-services.aspx
Protecting Your Children
Lead-based paint hazards must be eliminated from homes to prevent lead poisoning and to help lead-poisoned children get better. However, the presence of lead-based paint does not always mean that there are lead-based paint hazards in the home. Some ways to help protect your children include:
Keep your child away from areas of peeling and chipping paint.
Check window sills, window troughs, and outdoor play areas.
Check your home and other homes or facilities where your child visits.
Wash your child’s hands before meals and snacks.
Wash your child’s toys and pacifier often.
Serve your child at least three healthy meals a day. In addition, serve your child healthy snacks. A child with an empty stomach absorbs more lead.
Weekly clean floors, baseboards, and window sills where small children play. Wash woodwork and painted surfaces with warm water and a general all-purpose cleaner.