Rental License

Licensing Fees Effective January 1, 2016

$25.00 Structure
$20.00 Dwelling Unit
$10.00 Rooming Unit
$25.00 Late Payment

Inspection Fees Effective April 6, 2015

*Inspection Fees may be adjusted, subject to City Council Approval.
  Type of Inspection

Description of Inspection

$40.00 Certification of Structural Compliance (CSC)

New rental property inspection during which additional documentation and inspection work is completed including: Sketch up of basic floor plans to be maintained in property record, establish record of all habitable space (e.g. bedroom count, locations, unfinished areas, etc.), and establish maximum occupancy. After successfully passing CSC Inspection, a Certificate of Structural compliance will be issued. CSC's are transferrable to new owners.

$50.00 Dwelling Unit

Charged in accordance with inspection and only in years when inspected. Waived if unit has been inspected by City of Dubuque Housing Inspectors for participation in the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) or similar assisted housing programs within the last 2 years.

$30.00 Rooming Unit

Charged similarly to the dwelling inspection fee.

$85.00 Confirmed Complaint Inspection

Confirmed complaint penalty fee is charged only in cases when the following has occurred: 1 - Tenant has provided written proof of maintenance request to property owner and/or registered agent; 2 - Tenant has allowed acceptable time for property owner/agent to make necessary repairs; 3 - City inspector has verified that the complaint has not been repaired and is a housing code violation.

$70.00

Re-inspection  Penalty Fee

Charged after the 2nd and subsequent re-inspections. No penalty would be applied if the 2nd re-inspection is for winter moratorium violations (concrete/painting) that require warm weather completion.

$50.00 No Show Penalty Fee

Charged if owner has not given a 48 business hour notification to re-schedule appointment for inspection. Owner is allowed only one re-schedule per structure / unit.

Self-Certification

Units eligible for self-certification are inspected by IFA and/or HUD on a regular basis. To ensure units maintain standards, Dwelling and/or Rental Unit inspections will be a random selection of 25% of participating units. If those units are in compliance, self-certification will be allowed for remaining 75% of units.
  Type of Self-Certification Inspection Description of Inspection
$50.00 Dwelling Units Inspection Cost Random inspection of 25% of participating units.
$20.00 Dwelling Unit Self-Certification Cost Reduced inspection fee for self-certified units.
$30.00 Rooming Unit (SRO) Inspection Cost Random inspection of 25% of participating units.
$15.00 Rooming Unit (SRO) Self-Certification Cost Reduced inspection fee for self-certified units.

College Dormatory Inspections

College dorm rooms identified and pre-approved for dormitory status by Housing Inspections will be inspected by the Dubuque Fire Department at a reduced rate.
  Type of Inspection Description of Inspection
$15.00 Fire Department Inspection Charged in accordance of inspection and only in years when inspected.