Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste, or more appropriately called yard debris, includes grass clippings, leaves, pinecones, pine needles, fallen fruit, nuts, brush, garden plants and culls, tree trimmings, bark, sod, flowers, potted plants (not pots), pumpkins, straw bales, corn stalks, Christmas trees. Food scraps and compostable paper are not also acceptable. Yard waste in plastic bags will not collected. Generic paper yard waste bags, single use yellow yard waste stickers for bags and cans, and brush ties are available in most grocery, hardware, and discount stores throughout the city.
What are the costs?
- Yard Waste Tipper Cart 65 gallon- $11/month
- Annual Yard Waste Decal- Cost $35 each and are only available from the City's Utility Billing Services Counter at City Hall, by mail-in request form, or by phone at 563.589.4144.
- Cans, Bags or Bundles- Cost $1.30 each and are sold on sheets of five for $6.50. Click here to find locations.
How am I to set out my yard waste?
You must set your yard waste and/or food scrap out in a rigid solid waste container (up to 35 gallons). You can also set your yard waste in:
- yard waste container must not exceed 35 gallons and 40 pounds with annual decal or yellow single-use sticker;
- brown paper yard waste bag not to exceed 40 pounds with yellow single-use sticker;
- bundles not to exceed 40 pounds with City brush tie or yellow single-use sticker; or
- City-owned 65 gallon tipper carts ($11/month)
- Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected
Regular, full-route yard waste collectionApril 4 through November 26 on your trash collection day.
Winter season yard waste collectionDecember through March on Thursdays (by appointment). Customers must call (563) 589-4250 or submit an online service request no later than 3 p.m. the previous day (Wednesday). Sticker or decal still required.
Merry Mulch Program CollectionMerry Mulch Program Collection is offered the first two full weeks of January. Christmas trees (maximum of eight feet high), yard waste bags, bundles and containers (up to 35 gallons), as well as GreenCarts with food scraps will be picked up on regular collection days for two weeks. The tree must have either one City Brush Tie or one yellow Yard Waste Sticker attached and visible from the street or alley.
Leaf Rake-Out Appointments
Leaf rake-out collections by appointment are offered in October and November. These collections must be scheduled in advance by calling (563) 589-4250 or submitting a request at the link below. Appointments must be made before raking into a gutter area. Acceptable items in the leaf rake-out include loose leaves, pine needles, and pine cones. Grass, brush, plants, and rocks are not accepted.
Leaf piles should be placed in the street at the curb no sooner than the day before the scheduled appointment. Crews cannot enter private property or alleys to collect a leaf rake-out. Vehicles must not be parked on the street within 10 feet of the leaf pile. Utilities such as fire hydrants, utility boxes, or storm sewer catch basins should not be covered. A $20 minimum charge is added to a caller’s utility bill for a 40 bag equivalent rake-out pickup.
Click here to schedule an appointment for a leaf rake-out.