Building Permit Application
The City of Dubuque Building Services Department issues Building Permits for commercial and residential projects. Our Building Inspectors are responsible for examining all construction plans and documents to ensure all work meets minimum code requirements prior to the issuance of the Permit. Our inspectors will perform field inspections throughout your project to ensure work is being done according to the submitted application and plans. Upon completion our Inspectors will issue a Final Completion letter or Certificate of Occupancy for each project.
Building Permit Applications can be submitted either by mail, email, or in person at the Building Services Department at 50 W. 13th Street, Dubuque, Iowa, 52001. All permit applications must be paid in full prior to the issuance of the Permit and work beginning. The Building Department will accept cash, check, or credit/debit card payments. Credit/Debit card payments must be done over the phone or in person at our office.
Residential Building Permit Applications are for:
- Single-Family Dwellings
- Two-Family Dwellings
New Construction Building Permit Applications are for:
- New Construction
- Additions or Alterations
- Interior Remodel Projects
1) Submit two copies of the construction plans or drawings with the Permit Application. One paper copy mailed or dropped off in person at City Hall and a PDF file emailed (if file size permits) or mailed or dropped off on a disk or thumb drive.
2) All new construction projects are to submit a Site Plan for review and approval by the Planning and Zoning Department prior to Permit issuance.
3) The Building Department will perform a Plan Review of the submitted construction documents and approve prior to Permit issuance.
4) Applicant is charged a $60/hr. Plan Review Fee for all new construction projects with a minimum charge of one hour.
5) All other General Building Permits being applied for can submit the Residential Building Permit Application below with a detailed work description of the project or work being done.
Residential Building Permit Application
Site Plan Example
Residential Building Permit Fees
Commercial Building Permit Applications are for:
- All Non-Residential Structures
NOTE: The Planning and Zoning Department needs to approve all Site Plans Prior to Building Permit Issuance
1) New Construction, Additions or Alterations, and Interior Remodel Projects require two copies of construction plans be submitted with the Permit Application. One paper copy mailed or dropped off in person at City Hall and a PDF file emailed (if file size permits) or mailed or dropped off on a disk or thumb drive.
2) All new construction projects are required to submit a Site Plan for review and approval by the Planning and Zoning Department prior to Permit issuance. 4) 3) Applicant is charged a $60/hr. Plan Review Fee for all New Construction projects with a minimum charge of one hour.
Food Establishments Additional Requirements:
1) Contact the City of Dubuque Health Department (563-589-4181) to fill out a separate application and provide plans and specifications as required by the Health Department.
2) Fill out a Fats, Oils, and Grease (F.O.G) application and submit this to the Water & Resource Recovery Center for processing.
3) Fill out a Grease Interceptor Checklist Form and submit to the Building Services Department for review.
Permanent and Temporary Signs:
1) All signs require a separate sign application (see link below) to be filled out and reviewed for approval by the Planning and Zoning Department prior to Permit issuance. Signs applications should be submitted at the same time your Site Plan or Building Plans are being submitted to make sure approval is granted prior to moving forward with your project. The City of Dubuque requires sign contractors to obtain an annual license from the City of Dubuque Building Department.
Commercial Construction Building Permit Application
Commercial Building Permit Fees