Why do we budget? Why is it important?
The purpose of the budget is to:
1. To meet the legal requirement.
2. To establish spending and income-raising authority.
3. To establish a work program for the fiscal year (objectives) and present it to the public.
4. To manage and control resources and their use.
5. To assure the proper mix of costs and services.
6. To assure the most effective and efficient use of available resources.
7. To set the tempo and direction of the city government.
8. To prioritize policies and objectives.
9. To link dollars with results.